To celebrate Christmas 2017, we’re hosting a Christmas Market day on Saturday 9 December between 9 and 2. Stalls will be available, under shelter, on our western verandah. Anyone in the neighbourhood who has great Christmas wares to sell is welcome to join us as a stall holder. A spot at this market will cost just $50. We already have stallholders with speciality giftware to sell as well as cakes, jams, cards, ceramics, artworks, jewellery and plants.
Please give us a call or email if you’d like to part of the day. Tel. 9311 4886
On this day before Christmas, my health coach said to me ,
“Go to the Coast, take lots of classes and don’t waste your time,
there’s a lot to do, dance, sing and rhyme,
laugh, smile and hum,
sew, paint and draw,
and you’ll never, never need, a partridge in a pear tree”
Apologies to composer Frederic Austin
Line Dancing will:
- Teach you to dance. If you can’t dance by yourself, how can you possibly expect to dance with a partner? Line dancing teaches you to actually move your body.
- Improve your Balance: teaches you how to maintain your own balance while moving to the beat
- Help you Find the Beat: Oh a big one. Staying on beat (on time) is critical in any dance whether by yourself or with someone else. Learning to find the beat and timing of any dance is critical before getting with a partner.
- Teach you basic footwork. Learn how to do triple steps, turns and spins, rocking steps and many other steps that you will use in every form of dance.
- Improve your confidence. Helps overcome feeling of having “two left feet”; Offers sense of pride and accomplishment and improves your coordination.
- Provide you with a dance outlet whether you have a partner or not. Today, it seems there is a line dance for just about any song you can think of. If not, many line dances are timed that they can fit multiple songs providing you many dance opportunities.
- Provide you a way to practice. You always hear that practice is necessary to improving your dance but you may not know exactly how to, or what to practice. Line dances are a perfect structured means to practice dance technique.
And the list goes on and on.
Take advantage of the opportunities to improve your dance.
Join Nancy this month .
Learn some exciting line dances, have a lot of fun!
The Mayor and Deputy Mayor attended the Fete and Grandparents Day at the Coast Centre on October 29, 2017. They presented speeches on the day commending the Coast Centre on our work and involvement with the community.
“They say that the minute we cease to grow and learn is the minute we begin to be old. So as I look around me at all the opportunities and classes offered here at the Coast Centre, I realise this is a youth
centre!” – Mayor Lindsay Shurey
“I’d like to commend the amazing work of the Coast Centre, and the importance of grandparents within our community.” – Deputy Mayor Alexandra Luxford
The Mayor and Deputy Mayor were very pleased with our work in keeping retirees active and engaged with their grandchildren, and generally keeping our community young!
We were very happy to have the Mayor and Deputy Mayor here and hope they come back again soon!
You can read their full comments on our Testimonials page.
Need a Christmas present for someone?
An all medium Exhibition with works in watercolour, mixed media, oils and calligraphy… For Sale!
Artists from the Coast Centre will be showing their best and you can see them in the Gallery – Opens Sunday Oct 29 – Dec 1
Cardio workouts and weight resistance can help delay the impacts of ageing.
There is a number one method to adding years to your life and it is physical activity, a Swedish study has found. Even if you don’t start exercising until later on in life, moving your body can help substantially in longevity. However, it’s not about just adding years to your life, it’s about adding life to your years!
Benefits to physical activity:
- Keeps excess pounds at bay
- Increase your stamina
- Ward off illnesses
- Reduce health risks
- Manage chronic conditions
- Stay active and indepedent
- Strengthen your heart
- Keep your arteries clear
- Boost your mood
- Improve your memory
- Live longer
“Aerobics pumps life giving oxygen into your blood, brain and joints!”
Join our Aerobics or Balance & Fitness classes today!
Join Luda and Gina for low impact
Mondays – 1:30 pm for $7.50
Balance & Fitness Classes
with Anne Saville
Mondays & Wednesdays 9:30 – 10:45 am
The Clan Macleod Pipe Band of Sydney will be opening the Fete and Grandparents Day on Sunday October 29, 2017 at 10am!
They will be opening with a march through the Centre playing various songs including Advance Australia Fair.
A little history about the band:
In about 1942, the Mosman Scottish Association was formed and the Chief of Association Charles Christopherson dreamed of having a pipe band in the Mosman area to go hand in hand with Scottish tradition.
It wasn’t until after 1948 that the Association formed the Mosman Pipe Band and bought Lawrie pipes, imitation ivory mounted pipes, and rope tension drums with pig skin heads. This lead to their first official formal appearance on ANZAC Sunday 1949 in Mosman, gaining much needed experience in the years following.
In 1954, Bruce MacLeod formed the Clan MacLeod Society of Australia (NSW) in preparation for the first visit of the Chief, Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod.
Following the demise of the Mosman Scottish Association in 1963, the Clan Society was then renamed to the Clan MacLeod Pipe Band. They wear the Ancient MacLeod of Harris and Dunvegan Tartan and even to this day, some of the original pipes, sporrans, buckles and brooches are still used.
The band continues to regularly participate in many major Sydney Community events and Parades, and has even appeared on television.
Come and celebrate Grandparents Rock South East Sydney!
at The Coast Centre (2 Curie Ave, Little Bay)
Sunday 29th October – 10am to 2pm
There will be: Pizza and BBQ, Aussie Animal Display, Pipers & Drummers from Clan McLeod, Dance displays, Cakes, Craft, Gifts and Plants.
Great fun for the whole family!
(c) Copyright 2015 All Rights Reserved The Little Bay Coast Centre for Seniors
Website design by Websites 4 Small Business